Tutorial - Provision, setup, and secure a TinaCMS cloud editor on AWS

I recently spent far too much time getting a cloud editor for my Gatsby/TinaCMS site setup on AWS and want to share the knowledge in the form of a tutorial. Considering there isn’t any documentation on running the editor in the cloud with Gatsby, it would be helpful to get some feedback.

I first tried to use Gatbsy Cloud for editing, but you can only run the editor on their “Preview” deployment, and they spin down your “Preview” periodically. Hence, it is not suitable for this use case, let alone for a client project.

Below is the article. Please let me know if you have feedback.

1 Like

Hey @seansean11 I haven’t gotten very far but so far this looks great! Really excited to give it a run through. :slight_smile:

Very cool! I’m not super familiar with the Amazon specifics, but at a glance, everything looks good to me on the Tina side of things.

Question for either you or @ncphi. In the tutorial I am generating my ssh key on the server and opting not to pass through the key or the github username/email to gatsby-tinacms-git. I did leave TINA_CEE=true, but I don’t know if this makes any difference, as it seems to work without that being set. This is fairly similar to how you might run TinaCMS locally. It is able to pick up on the ssh key in ~/.ssh and communicate with GitHub just fine.

What benefit does passing these values to the gatsby-tinacms-git plugin give me if any? I saw that passing the private key creates a .ssh/id_rsa private key file inside of my TinaCMS project, which makes me feel a little uneasy when thinking about security.

Thanks for the retweet!

1 Like